Senior Electrical Engineer
This senior role works alongside project management staff to ensure that production is completed on time and within budget. The Senior Engineer will serve as a contact point with clients, other engineering and design professionals, and contractors. This role will also function as a Project Lead, where assigned.
- Ensure the concurrent financial and logistical management - while overseeing the development of system design concepts and contract documents - for multiple projects, throughout all phases of design and construction.
- Collect and analyze technical data for design studies; prepare layouts and develop specifications; develop design proposals and design documents; and analyze and resolve design and production issues.
- Gather information, conduct studies, perform calculations, and prepare original schematic layouts and sketches to present design proposal. Deliver a presentation of the proposal, when appropriate.
- Make decisions regarding design suitability, using knowledge of specified product materials, system types, and production process.
- Apply codes; identify alternatives allowed by code exceptions to devise engineering solutions to design challenges.
- Perform mathematical calculations using engineering formulas and analysis tools.
- Coordinate design criteria with architects, other engineering disciplines, and planning groups in accordance with contractual specifications.
- Lead or participate in project coordination meetings with clients and internal project teams. Initiate meetings when appropriate. Plan, schedule and/or coordinate detailed phases of assigned project work. Deliver presentation of project status, when appropriate.
- Identify and communicate changes to design and/or scope that may impact deadlines, workloads, or assignments of the project and project budget. Ensure that Project Manager/Project Lead is informed immediately of those changes.
- Provide technical support to other staff in area of expertise as a trainer and mentor.
- Where project requirements dictate, determine life cycle costing, construction cost estimating, cost indexing, and project scheduling. Develop fee proposals and requests for additional services, when appropriate.
- When required, review, stamp, and sign design documents.
- When assigned as Project Lead, provide timely communication and correspondence with the client.
- Represent the firm in a professional manner, enhancing client confidence and respect, and furthering relationships for the goal of repeat work or referrals. Clients should think of you highly enough to request you, specifically, for future work.
- Ensure that your work, or the work of your team, is completed on time and within budget.
- Secure areas of new work with existing clients. Seek out information on clients’ future project needs, and invite feedback on clients’ perception of your work. Be deliberate with your outreach and efforts to build relationships.
- Proactively pursue continued education, training, certifications, and opportunities to network within our industry. Stay updated on code changes, industry trends, and technical tools that can be utilized in your work.
Education and Experience
- Professional Engineer (PE) Licensure in the state of primary office location.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering discipline.
- Technical/Professional expertise with 7 or more years of professional engineering experience. At least 4 of those years must have been in an engineering consulting environment.
- Experience as a lead engineer, in designing and completing a project from start to finish.
- Demonstration of effective verbal and written organizational and communication skills. Technical writing skills are essential.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and Revit MEP strongly preferred.
Under limited supervision, plan and conduct work requiring judgment in independent evaluation, selection, and substantial modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Manage complex projects involving special skills and multi-disciplinary teams.